As the COVID-19 pandemic impacts communities around the world, people living in countries that lack strong health systems and supply chains are particularly vulnerable. Our response to the epidemic rests upon our ongoing, unchanged strategy of health systems strengthening and universal health coverage. We are working closely with the Ministry of Health at the national level to curtail the pandemic’s spread, and at the district level to coordinate an organized response for case identification, containment, and mitigation contingencies. We are implementing infection control and prevention measures, placing procurement orders for necessary materials, and working with partners such as the Community Health Impact Coalition to develop and implement protocols and training plans for this new scope of work. Our research and monitoring & evaluation teams are leveraging our extensive data analytics capabilities, developing mathematical models of COVID-19 to predict morbidity, mortality, and healthcare workload, and to simulate the impact of a range of interventions and assess which are the best strategies to minimize transmission.
PIVOT COVID-19 GUIDELINES
This COVID-19 manual, compiled by our clinical team, aims to provide guidance to the personnel and facilities supported by PIVOT, as well as governments and nongovernmental organizations working in resource-constrained settings. It is intended to be a resource for physicians and other health care professionals working on the frontlines of the pandemic, and is currently available in English and French:
- PIVOT COVID-19 Guide – English (updated June 30, 2020)
- PIVOT Guide COVID-19 – Français (mise à jour le 30 juin 2020)
WEEKLY COVID-19 REPORTS
On the ground in Madagascar, our team is producing weekly reports on the state of the outbreak in Madagascar. Currently available only in French, these updates are circulated both internally and externally across the PIVOT team and community in order to help keep our 200-person staff aligned and the communities we serve well-informed.
Latest report: 7-13 septembre
- September: 31 août-6 septembre
- August: 17-23 août | 10-16 août | 3-9 août | 27 juillet-2 août | 24-30 août
- July: 20-26 juillet | 13-19 juillet | 8-12 juillet | 29 juin-7 juillet
- June: 22-28 juin | 15-21 juin | 8-14 juin | 1-7 juin
- May: 25-31 mai | 18-24 mai | 11-17 mai | 4-10 mai | 27 avril-3 mai
- April: 18-26 avril | 11-17 avril | 4-10 avril
With travel restrictions preventing our ability to welcome visitors in Madagascar, we are thrilled to offer the opportunity to immerse yourself in our work from the comfort of your own home! This virtual site visit, hosted by PIVOT Executive Director Tara Loyd, fits a week’s worth of activities into a 60-minute video. You’ll take a walk through rural Ifanadiana District, visit a patient’s home with our community health team, tour some of the health facilities we support, meet members of our staff, and more:
Join us on September 24 for our Virtual Science Expo! This year our annual fundraiser is celebrating the launch of our new research division, PIVOT Science. Register with a donation in any amount and your gift will be matched by our event host committee, doubling your impact! Tune in to meet the international team of scientists and implementers who are generating knowledge to support our healthcare delivery programs and advance health as a human right across the globe.
This spring, we hosted a live virtual panel series called Voices From The Field to connect our community with members of the PIVOT field team working on the frontlines in Madagascar. Check out the recordings, and stay tuned for announcements about future sessions:
- PIVOT’s Support to Ifanadiana District Hospital
- PIVOT’s Primary Care Activities
- PIVOT’s Community Health Program
- Global Health through the Lens of Motherhood
- What PIVOT Doctors are Learning from the COVID-19 Pandemic
- How PIVOT is Addressing the Pandemic’s Information Crisis
- The Latest on COVID-19 in Madagascar (Dedicated Q&A)
- PIVOT’s Data & Research on the Spread of COVID-19
- PIVOT’s COVID-19 Response in Madagascar to Date
- Dr. Greg Davis on Medicine: A Global Perspective On Pandemic (August 26, 2020)
NPR radio host interviews Tara Loyd, PIVOT Executive Director, on the state of the pandemic in Madagascar and PIVOT’s response.
- Reconciling model predictions with low reported cases of COVID-19 in Sub-Saharan Africa: Insights from Madagascar (July 15, 2020)
Members and collaborators of the PIVOT research team analyze Madagascar’s COVID-19 outbreak to predict the potential evolution of the pandemic there and in other regions
- True WELLth Podcast, Episode #20 (May 27, 2020)
PIVOT Co-Founder and Scientific Director Matt Bonds joins Brighton Jones’ podcast to discuss the science behind pandemics, including spread of disease and strategies for containment
- What Keeps Us Going These Days? (May 5, 2020)
On the PIVOT blog: hear about the actions, big and small, the are inspiring our team as we continue to prepare our pandemic response.
- Community Health Workers Demand PPE for All (May 4, 2020)
Video by the Community Health Impact Coalition (CHIC) featuring PIVOT-supported community health worker Fety Randrianarivelo
- A Tale of 13 Tests (April 30, 2020)
On the PIVOT blog: Guest contributor Nancy Palus sheds light on the challenges of COVID detection across Madagascar.
- An epidemiologist (who is also an economist) responds (April 30, 2020)
Matt Bonds’ response to a blog post by economist Tyler Cowen
- Spatio-Temporal Dynamics and Control of COVID-19 in a Rural District of Madagascar (April 16, 2020)
Panel session hosted by Harvard Medical School featuring Matt Bonds and Karen Finnegan (PIVOT Associate Scientific Director)
- Expert Interview: Can Philanthropy Disrupt Future Pandemics? (April 8, 2020)
Interview by Brighton Jones with Matt Bonds and Natasha Dolezal
- COVID-19 is Spreading in Madagascar (March 27, 2020)
On the PIVOT blog: An early summary of the state of COVID-19 in Madagascar as the pandemic was spreading across the globe.
- A letter from our co-founder on our COVID-19 Response (March 20, 2020)
On the PIVOT blog: Robin Herrnstein, PIVOT Board Chair & Co-Founder, shares her perspective on the pandemic from her home in New York, including insights on what PIVOT has to offer in response.
- Preparing for the Threat of COVID-19 in Madagascar (March 11, 2020)
On the PIVOT blog: The very day the COVID-19 crisis was declared a global pandemic, PIVOT Chief Medical Officer Dr. Alishya Mayfield shared her reflections on the complexities of preparing to manage an epidemic of such proportions in a setting like Madagascar.
SUPPORT OUR WORK
Strong, resilient health systems are the best antidote to the kind of widespread preventable death the world is facing now as a result of COVID-19. As we respond to the needs of Madagascar’s population amid the pandemic, ensuring reliable access to regular quality healthcare services remains our central priority. Your support ensures that we are able to do both.
GET IN TOUCH
We’re grateful for your partnership. If you have any questions, suggestions, or are looking to collaborate with us in any way, please don’t hesitate to contact us: