Madagascar Market Fire Victim Relief
On January 11, an electrical fire destroyed the livelihoods of several families who owned and ran stores at the Ranomafana Village central market. Heavy rains early in the evening led to a power outage. When the power came back on, a spark from a fuse box ignited a fire that grew to consume six surrounding stores. Community members used garden hoses and buckets of water to try to contain the fire, but several shops and their contents had already been destroyed by the time they were able to put it out.
Many of the victims of this event lost everything. In Madagascar, where the average income is less than $1.25 a day, it will be nearly impossible for those affected by this tragic event to gather the resources necessary to rebuild the market structure or even replace goods that have been lost or damaged.
Ranomafana’s marketplace sits at the center of the community where PIVOT operates. PIVOT partners with the community to provide accessible and comprehensive health care services to save lives and break cycles of poverty and disease. As an organization, we stand in solidarity with the community.
This is why we are turning to you, our PIVOT community, to ask for your assistance in supporting the people of Ranomafana who have been affected by this tragedy. With your help and our partners at Centre ValBio, we hope to raise the funds needed to construct a safer, sturdier, and more modern building that will help restore livelihoods and prevent future disasters.
Please join us in this urgent effort by clicking here to visit our Crowdrise campaign today. Your gift of any amount will help relieve the suffering now and build a brighter future for our Malagasy friends and neighbors.